Monument / Architectural attraction
Bania House, a monument of medieval architecture and the oldest civil building in Craiova, was built in the late fifteenth century by the Craioveşti noblemen and it was rebuilt in 1699 by the prince martyr Constantin Brancoveanu. From the initial construction done by Craioveşti only part of the cellar is preserved.
In the midst of history, the old foundation was burned many times, it passed through different dominations and administrations and "suffered" architectural changes, additions and deletions according to their needs.
Thus, between 1718 - 1739, in Baniei House is based the austrian administration, which strengthens it for defense. In 1750, the building is transferred by ruler Grigore Ghica to the Diocese of Râmnic. Since 1850, the building became headquarters for various institutions of the city: Craiova’s Court, Buzeşti Brothers’ High School, the Local Seminar, the State Archives. Since 1933, the building will house the Museum of Oltenia until 1948, when its use is switched to the Metropolitan Church of Oltenia.
Since 1966, the old brancovenian architectural monument hosts the Department of Ethnography from the Museum of Oltenia.