Maglavit Monastery

Monastery / Church


About

The story of the monastery's construction is linked to an illiterate, deaf and poor shepherd called Petre Lupu, who supposedly had seen God in 1935, between Easter and Pentecost, and was asked to preach the love for faith. Thus, God gave him back his hearing and his speaking, his visions and healing making Maglavit a place of pilgrimage.
The Maglavit Monastery, dedicated to the Life Giving Fountain, was demolished by the Communists and then restored in 1990, when the unfinished works before the war continued.
Petrache Lupu is buried at Maglavit Monastery.
After the Revolution of 1989, on 17th of August 1990, through the desire of the Christians, the Metropolitan Church of Oltenia re-establishes the monastery started in 1936. Archimandrite Policarp Sidor was entrusted as pastor of the church. There was no monastic life in the past in this region, but after Petrache Lupu’s events, some monks settled here, as well as a small community of nuns who settled on the banks of the Danube river. A monk began to serve here, "at the log", together with the abbot named Nicanor. At the same time, the construction of a large church was initiated in order to perpetuate the Maglavite's message and spread it among people. The large brick wall church was planned and designed on pillars to be protected from the Danube's waters.
Currently, due to the pier construction, the water no longer threatens the church. The rise of the church began in 1936 and continued, but to a lesser extent, until 1940.
After 1990, brick was laid at the basement and the ground floor, the place for the religious services being thus established.
In 2010, the Maglavit Monastery which was a monastery for monks was transformed into monastery of nuns.
In the summer of 1935, at Maglavit, a village near the Danube, God appeared to a shepherd named Petrache Lupu.
Deaf from birth and also illiterate, he received the divine command to bring the vicious world on the right path and he suddenly began to speak and perform miracles. This is how one of the most famous religious phenomena in Romania was born, gathering hundreds of thousands of people from all the counties of the country, equally intellectuals, priests, politicians and peasants. The tale of Maglavit, in its picturesque way, was a miraculous, unexplained story which described, within Father Nicholas Bobin’s notebooks, the confessions of Petrache as well as the testimonies of other people who closely met the "Saint," the nickname of the shepherd used after his passing.
The stories about Petrache Lupu and the place where God appeared to him are endless. Perhaps the easiest thing to do is to just go there. See the place in the forest, called "to the log", where the "Old man" appeared, or visit the willow tree with healing water pouring from it after He leaned on it, or visit the cross from the meadow, beside the four mulberry tree, where Petrache, an orphan and an illiterate shepherd, knew how to preach God’s word. It is impossible not to feel the power and the pressure of that vast place full of waterholes, located on the edge of a mulberry tree forest. If you stand still in the light-filled air, you will hear the Danube, the prayers from the past, woven into that endless flow of water. And a voice that goes before anyone else, easily recognizable: Petrache Lupu, the Man of God.
sources:
http://maglavit.info.ro/?page_id=58
https://manastireamaglavit.ro/
https://locuridinromania.ro/judetul-dolj/comuna-maglavit/manastirea-maglavit.html
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Man%C4%83stirea-Maglavit/684108881781226

Photo Gallery

Similar Suggestions

"St. Dumitru" Metropolitan Cathedral

Monastery / Church

”All Saints” Roman-Catholic Church or St. Anton

Monastery / Church

Saint George the Great Martyr Monastery- Prisaca

Monastery / Church

"Assumption of Virgin Mary" and "St. Pantelimon " Church – Mantuleasa

Monastery / Church

The Holy Trinity Church

Monastery / Church