The Statue of Alexandru Ioan Cuza
Strada Alexandru Ioan Cuza, Craiova 200585, România
The statue of Alexandru Ioan Cuza was executed in 1912 by the Italian sculptor Raffaello Romanelli. The sculptor cast in bronze two copies of the statue of Prince Alexandru Ioan Cuza (1859-1866), one for the city of Iasi, the other one being brought to Craiova in 1912.
Located in 1935 in front of the Minerva Hotel, it will be inaugurated in 1939. One year later, it was moved downtown, on the north side of the English Park Garden, in front of the Town Hall.
The statue represents the ruler standing up straight, holding his sword with both hands, a symbol of determination and dignity.