Monument - 100 Years of Independence, Calafat
The sculptural ensemble is located on the Danube's waterfront, on the positions held by the former "Stephen the Great" artillery battalion in the spring of 1877. It is an original creation of the sculptor Bucur Pavel and was unveiled on August 21,1980. Consisting of two distinct elements, the pedestal and the statuary group, the monument impresses mainly by the total height (15 m) and the surface of the bas-reliefs (25 sqm).
The pedestal, made of travertine and of parallelepipedic shape, shows ample bas-reliefs with scenes of the Romanian army crossing the Danube in 1877; at the top of it are embedded the years of the centennial of independence: "1877-1977". The statuary group is carved in white stone and symbolically depicts three soldiers, belonging to the main weapons involved in this war, namely: an artilleryman holding a flag, a mountain ranger with a gun at his feet, and an infantryman sounding the trumpet for the attack.