All Saints Monastery- Metropolitan Oratory
Monastery / Church
"Sunday of All Saints" Church
The All Saints Monastery is the oratory of the Metropolitan Church of Craiova. The wooden church was built by the monk Daniil from the Tismana Monastery, in 1784, as the church of his native village, Talpasesti, Gorj county.
The small church had a troubled history that involved theft and rebuilding.
At the end of 1821, it was robbed by the Turkish armies who came here to stifle the revolution of Tudor Vladimirescu. Several objects of worship have been stolen.
In the autumn of the following year, the church will be restored by the locals and the restorers Ciaus Matei Corneanu and Constantine Chilea.
In 1860, the "All Saints" Church in Tălpăşeşti village underwent important transformations, being totally restored by the master painter "Dimitrie ot Corneşti", known in the area for having renovated several worship places. Thus, the church changed its roof, as well as the interior and the exterior painting that was restored using tempera paint.
Since 1894, the locals' interest in the small wooden church has declined since in the village began the construction of a new church made of stone, open in 1905.
Starting with this year, the wooden church was abandoned, and in time it degraded. As a solution to this problem, the Archdiocese of Craiova decided to relocate the church from Tălpăşeşti, Gorj county, to Craiova, in the courtyard of the Archdiocese.
The resettlement work was coordinated by the patriarch Teoctist who had hardly obtained the approvals of the local authorities for this action.
In 1975, the church was brought to the Archidiocese's courtyard, and in 1976 the reassembly works were completed.
The wooden elements were replaced with the help of the specialists, the students of the Theological Seminary of Craiova and the wood craftsmen from the village of Tălpăşeşti, the Archdiocese staff, etc.
It became a metropolitan oratory once the reassembly and the consolidation works were completed in 1976.
The space is unique by the painted and carved decoration. It is embellished by an impressive picture on a green-blue background, the representations of the saints being particularly expressive.
In time, the heritage of the "All Saints" oratory expanded with over 100 icons made by famous painters such as Ion Manta, Constantin Zugravul, Matei Zugravul, or Chirita Zugravul. In the interior of the church is the painting bearing the seal of the priest "Dimitrie ot Corneşti Zugravu 1860, April 9".