Marincu Palace- The Art and Etnography Museum in Calafat
Marincu Palace houses the Art and Ethnography Museum in Calafat.
It was built between 1905-1907 by Ştefan Marincu, in memory of his daughter Marioara Marincu according to the plans of the architect Paul Gottereau. The works were supervised by the architect Constantin Rogalski.
The exterior and interior decorations were made by construction engineer Pietro Adotti.
As an architectural style, the recently rebuilt palace (2001-2002) belongs to the French neoclassicism with baroque and rococo accents and with influences of the Romanian architecture at the beginning of the 20th century.
The edifice was introduced in the National Heritage, on the List of Historic Monuments, in 2003.
It hosts collections and works by some great Romanian fine artists such as Nicolae Grigorescu, Henri Catargi or Theodor Pallady and sculptures by Ion Irimescu, Nicu Enea, George Demetrescu Mirea.
The folk art collection of the museum includes traditional clothing and carpets, braids, tools and household items.
In September 2012 a department dedicated to the history of Calafat was opened , with the important support of the Florentza and Ilie Marincu families, descendants of the family who built this palace and who made important donations to the museum, including the concert piano and the chandelier in The Great Hall of Mirrors.
Photo source: www.monumenteoltenia.ro